This position performs a wide range of sales and use tax (SUT) compliance functions in a team-based, collaborative environment. Serves as the dedicated specialist to assigned clients. Accountable for the accuracy, integrity, and timely filing of the client’s returns and payments. This preparer will have the responsibility of maintaining the client relationship and will interact directly with the client.
Essential Job Functions And Responsibilities
- Prepare Clients’ sales and use tax returns for the time sensitive SUT compliance cycle. This will include:
- Communicate frequently with Client contacts via phone and e-mail
- Review Client tax data for accuracy, investigate questionable data and take corrective action when necessary
- Manage Clients’ soft and hard files
- Properly format and import monthly tax data to Vertex Indirect Tax Returns software
- Review and reconcile SUT returns using established best practices
- Ensure Client approval of returns and process any requested revisions
- Collaborate with other staff to complete the submissions of returns and payments
- Timely initiate electronic filings and payments
- Prepare and maintain monthly client tax compliance reports
- Review and address Clients’ tax mail (forms, notices, and bulletins)
- Track and respond to notices from taxing jurisdictions, ensuring proper documentation and timely resolution
- Prepare and submit sales tax registrations on behalf of clients
- Reconcile bank activity for assigned clients
- Exercise significant and independent professional judgment to resolve basic tax reporting problems
- Provide filing and notice support for senior level employees
- Ability to accommodate additional hours as needed during the monthly peak processing period, which is between the 5th and the 20th of each month.
- Returns volume supported expanding to approximate 600 returns per month within (6) months with moderate client complexity
- Provide support to senior level Tax Processing Specialist.
- Work independently after (6) months.
- Participates in projects and performs other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills And Abilities
- Fundamental knowledge of multi-state tax preparing software and preparation of SUT returns
- Intermediate Microsoft Word and Excel skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Must be detailed oriented and possess strong organizational skills
- Must be customer focused and results oriented
- Must be a self-starter and able to work under tight monthly deadlines
- Strong diplomacy skills are required
- Must manage time and priorities effectively to meet all deadlines
- Ability to work independently on routine work, with more guidance on new projects or assignments
- Ability to build productive internal/external working relationships
- Ability to display sound judgment and problem solving to resolve issues
- Must exhibit good interpersonal skills and act as a team player
Education And Training
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, or similar required.
- Four (4) plus years of sales & use tax experience.
- Or equivalent combination of education and/or experience.
The Winning Way behaviors that all Vertex employees need in order to meet the expectations of each other, our customers, and our partners.
- Communicate with Clarity – Be clear, concise and actionable. Be relentlessly constructive. Seek and provide meaningful feedback.
- Act with Urgency – Adopt an agile mentality – frequent iterations, improved speed, resilience. 80/20 rule – better is the enemy of done. Don’t spend hours when minutes are enough.
- Work with Purpose – Exhibit a “We Can” mindset. Results outweigh effort. Everyone understands how their role contributes. Set aside personal objectives for team results.
- Drive to Decision – Cut the swirl with defined deadlines and decision points. Be clear on individual accountability and decision authority. Guided by a commitment to and accountability for customer outcomes.
- Own the Outcome – Defined milestones, commitments and intended results. Assess your work in context, if you’re unsure, ask. Demonstrate unwavering support for decisions.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals in this position. Other functions may be assigned, and management retains the right to add or change the duties at any time.