WestRock (NYSE: WRK) partners with our customers to provide differentiated paper and packaging solutions that help them win in the marketplace. WestRock’s 50,000 team members support customers around the world from more than 320 operating and business locations spanning North America, South America, Europe, Asia, and Australia. Learn more at www.westrock.com .
Our technology organization is transforming how we work at WestRock. We align with our businesses to deliver innovative solutions that:
- Address specific business challenges, integrate processes, and create great experiences.
- Connect our work to shared goals that propel WestRock forward in the Digital Age.
- Imagine how technology can advance the way we work by using disruptive technology.
We are looking for forward thinking technologists that can accelerate our focus areas such as building stronger foundational technology capabilities, reducing complexity, employing digital transformation concepts, and leveraging disruptive technology.
WestRock is comprised of passionate and dynamic IT Infrastructure professionals that plan, implement, and support the deployment of critical systems, security, networks, databases, and supporting infrastructure that enable WestRock to maintain a highly responsive 24×7 operation.
Through systems expertise, cloud technologies, automation, detailed problem solving, and collaboration with the business, the Technology Platforms team leads the implementation and maintenance of large and complex solutions that run behind WestRock’s business applications.
The Senior Platforms Automation Engineer is responsible for the development, maintenance, and deployment of WestRock’s public and private cloud infrastructure that includes network, database, security and cloud services and products. They deliver enterprise work initiatives and projects.
They support multiple systems or applications of high complexity (complexity defined by size, technology used, and system feeds and interfaces) with multiple concurrent users, ensuring control, integrity, and accessibility.
They act as the technical liaisons between operations teams, engineers, and architects, providing critical operational insight to upcoming implementations and strategies, including validation of ongoing solutions supportability.They are Subject Matter Experts capable of articulating expert solutions through written or verbal methods.They also provide technical guidance to more junior automation staff.
How You Will Impact WestRock
- Development & Deployment – 60%
- Assists with delivery and operational control of the entire automation framework.
- Work with Delivery and Operations Engineering teams to develop the automation framework and roadmap across teams.
- Interprets designs and requirements to develop systems for test and deployment.
- Create automation test plans, communication, training, and support material require to deploy systems.
- Executes deployment and test plans to deliver products and services.
- Evaluates, develops, and recommends specific technology products and platforms to provide cost-effective solutions that meet business and technology requirements.
- Research, designs, and develops best fit infrastructure, network, database, and security services and products.
- Develops automation frameworks for private and public cloud infrastructure deployments.
- Creates scripts and tools that drive automation and enable product teams and end users to move towards self-service.
- Builds infrastructure and application monitoring to detect or prevent incidents.
- Prioritizes work from multiple projects simultaneously. Works closely with project managers and engineers from other teams/departments to complete work
- Performs code reviews, evaluates implementations, and provides feedback for tool improvements.
- Develops, tests, and deploys integrated scripts, recipes, and code to automate Systems configurations in a complex server environment.
- Configures, debugs, and supports infrastructure.
- Deploys field and corporate rollouts of technology.
- Deploys necessary system software, hardware, and equipment (physical or virtual) to meet changing infrastructure needs.
- Proactively creates and maintains tools for monitoring and support.
- Creates and optimizes specifications for technology solutions.
- Create and schedule IT Change Requests
- Creates and manages purchase requests for hardware and software.
- Researches and analyzes business trends and behavioral data to identify opportunities for improvements and new initiatives.
- Support & Enablement – 30%
- Leverages tooling and custom applications to monitor the operational status of applications, infrastructure, networks, databases, and security; optimizes and tunes performance as appropriate.
- Maintains, upgrades, and supports existing systems to ensure operational stability.
- Proposes cloud-related optimizations and best practices to improve reliability, performance, and cost.
- Advises the business on operational improvements and opportunities for automation.
- Collaborates with product and project teams to understand needs and enable them with infrastructure.
- Participates in project planning and management across multiple efforts.
- Supports technology architecture design review efforts for project and product teams.
- Delivers root cause analysis, debugging, support, and post-mortem analysis for security incidents and service interruptions.
- Acts as a vendor liaison, owning resourcing, issue management, and documentation.
- Creates and improves design and training documentation.
- Monitors and participates in team discussions to proactively help teams struggling with systems issues.
- Participates in level 3 and 24×7, on-call rotation to help support products in production.
- Develops and delivers formal training courses.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to understand and deliver solutions that meet their needs.
- Mentors more junior Systems Engineers, Analysts and Administrators
- Learning – 10%
- Keeps abreast of innovations and industry trends as well as changes to internal systems and determines how they impacts tools, training, and support necessary to keep systems up, running, and secure.
- Participates in and contributes to learning activities around modern systems engineering core practices (communities of practice)
- Proactively views articles, tutorials, and videos to learn about new technologies and best practices being used within other technology organizations.
What You Need To Succeed
- Bachelor’s degree in IT, CS, or related field of study
- 5-7 years of relevant work experience
- Professional experience in:
- (Teo or more of the following) Server Engineering, Network Engineering, Database Engineering, or Security Engineering; familiarity with at least one other, and interest in the growing in the remaining disciplines
- Networking, system and hardware design and architecture, DBMS concepts, RDS, SQL, MySQL, PostgreSQL programming, and client server concepts
- Building automation and SDLC CI/CD – Jenkins pipelines
- Configuration management – Puppet, Chef, Spinnaker, or Terraform
- Modern container orchestration systems
- Object-oriented programming languages, distributed computing environments, and code reviews
- Disaster recovery planning and engineering
- System security design and management
- Operating system and utilities as well as scripting (Windows and Linux)
- Open-Source Performance/Load Testing Tools (e.g., Gatling, Grinder, JMeter)
- Using a class of test au
tomation frameworks (e.g., Cucumber, gherkin, Turnip, Junit, etc.)
- Proficiency in
- Working as part of a collaborative, cross-functional, modern engineering team
- Infrastructure, network, database, or security troubleshooting and remediation; experience with at least one other
- Installing and upgrading applications or databases and performing system maintenance
- Monitoring the operational status and performance of systems, networks, or databases
- End-to-end product life cycles
- Configuring and tuning of systems, networks, or databases
- Supporting a 24×7 operation
- OS Deployments and Software Security Baselining
- Debuggers, runtime analysis, library systems, compiled programming, and software update tools
- Complex systems and environment analysis, design, and optimization
- Cloud platforms such as AWS , Azure, or Google Cloud Platform
- Code repository management, code merge and quality checks, continuous integration, and automated deployment and management using Git, Rest API, VMware SDK, AWS SDK, Chef, Docker, Puppet, Ansible, Jenkins, Maven, or comparable tools.
- Linux system automation using Bash and Python.
- System administration of cloud infrastructure, such as provisioning (using CloudFormation, Terraform or comparable tools), logging or monitoring, and articulating these concepts to technical and non-technical audiences.
- Executing projects through traditional and Agile methodologies
- Excellent problem solving, dispute resolution and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to manage multiple projects and tasks simultaneously with competing deadlines in a fast-paced and dynamic environment.
- Great attitude and team player mentality.
What We Offer
- Corporate culture based on integrity, respect, accountability, and excellence.
- Comprehensive training with numerous learning and development opportunities.
- An attractive salary reflecting skills, competencies, and potential.
- A career with a global packaging company where Sustainability, Safety and Inclusion are business drivers and foundational elements of the daily work.
WestRock Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to creating and maintaining a diverse workforce: Minorities/Females/ Disabled/Veterans.