(SR) Transmission Planning & Interconnection Engineering Manager – T&D Utility Renewables
LOCATION: Austin, TX area – Relocation Assistance available
HYBRID – Office and Work From Home Schedule
A Renewables Transmission Development and Operations Company is looking to expand their Strategic Leadership Team with the addition of a Manager of Transmission Planning & Interconnection Engineering focused on commercial operations. Very open to upgrading the role to Sr. Manager level as it it will report into the Executive Team and have at least 2 Direct reports.
This role will drive the companys interconnection strategy within ISO/RTOs across the companys assets and portfolio. It will lead a small team of Transmission Planning Engineers and manage 3rd party economic transmission planning engineering studies (PROMOD, UPLAN, GridView) done by Consulting Firms.
Technical skills are very important but the Transmission Planning & Interconnection Engineering Manager must also be very skill-ful in their ability to communicate with key internal and external stakeholders. This includes breaking down highly technical concepts into easy to understand format for all parties involved in the decision making process and negotiations with the Independent System Operators (ISOs) like ERCOT..SPP…PJM…MISO..etc.
The organization has a flat structure which gives their employees direct access to executive management and the ability to gain a diverse amount of experience on various projects.The scope of their operations includes transmission (t-line), substation, regional control centers, and distribution systems with interconnects to both utility-scale solar and wind assets.
They offer a comprehensive compensation package that includes a competitive base salary, annual bonus, and EXCELLENT health benefits (100% covered by employer) and 401k retirement incentives with automatic contributions.
- Manager of Transmission Planning & Interconnection Engineering – develops & implements models (PSSE, TARA, PowerWorld, ASPEN, PSCAD…etc) for interconnection applications and packages
- Manager of Transmission Planning & Interconnection Engineering – constantly monitors the transmission market congestion and reliability assessments for opportunities for ISO/RTO market development opportunities
- Manager of Transmission Planning & Interconnection Engineering – mentors internal Engineers as a Technical Leader in developing and executing transmission studies and analysis (power flow, stability, short circuit, reactive power compensation, etc…)
- Manager of Transmission Planning & Interconnection Engineering – leads project development initiatives including the facilitation of transmission analytics for active projects
- Manager of Transmission Planning & Interconnection Engineering – develops the companys Annual Transmission Planning Assessment for review with the Exec Leadership Team
- Manager of Transmission Planning & Interconnection Engineering – actively involved in the negotiation/amendment of contractual agreements with generation interconnection customers
- Manager of Transmission Planning & Interconnection Engineering – leads interactions with the ISOs throughout the lifecycle of the project
General Experience Requirements
- Bachelors Degree in Engineering preferably Electrical Engineering or Power Systems Engineering
- Power flow modeling experience with PSS/E, PSLF, PSCAD, ASPEN, MUST, TARA, and/or PowerWorld
- Exposure to economic transmission market planning and analysis – PROMOD, GridView, UPlan, or Plexos
- Understanding of electricity market policy and rules with respect to interconnection and transmission planning
- Experience working with ISOs (independent system operator) and/or RTOs (regional transmission organization)
- Working knowledge of Utility-scale renewable energy operations (Wind, Solar, Energy Storage, Battery Storage)
- Solution driven “get it done” attitude, strong communication, and presentation skills
- Previous experience working as a Transmission Planning Engineer, Transmission Engineer, Lead Electrical Engineer, Lead Power Systems Engineer, or Lead Transmission Planning Engineer, Transmission & Interconnection Manager/Director, Transmission Planning Manager