FARO is an imaging company – and an imagining company. We envision a better, more insightful, and more powerful world realized through digital 3D means and measurement technologies. Right from the start, we have helped our customers make better decisions – faster and more accurately than anyone else in the industry.
We work with the largest companies on the planet to provide the solutions that enable them to overcome their most pressing industry challenges. In aerospace and automotive, we work with firms like SpaceX, NASA, Tesla, and Volvo among others. In the construction industry, we work with the largest builders to scan and design astonishing projects. For public safety professionals, our forensics scanning tools solve crimes and document scenes with high-tech gear you probably see on CSI and in the movies!
We believe that if it can be dreamed it can also be measured. And if it can be measured, it can also be realized.
We are seeking a Senior Process Engineer located in or around the state of Pennsylvania. This will be a hybrid position working primarily from home and occasionally from the office in Exton, PA.
Lead the design and development of manufacturing engineering processes and required documentation (e.g., work instructions and validation protocols), perform root-cause analysis of system failures, as well as developing test, assembly, diagnostic procedures, and overall ownership of transition plans from design engineering to manufacturing for global Manufacturing, Service, and Quality. Additional duties include troubleshooting & repair of electrical and mechanical system failures, as well as developing test protocols (validate software & hardware functions), evaluation/disposition of global Service Break/Fix related issues and publish/maintain diagnostic procedures for both Production and Service centers.
To perform such tasks, you will have to undertake basic process engineering tasks, such as: interacting with various test and measurement equipment to troubleshoot system designs, evaluation/optimization of production workflows, and design of electro-mechanical systems to improve manufacturing processes. Candidate may also perform basic electronics technician tasks, such as: soldering components on PCBs; using oscilloscopes and logic analyzers to debug PCBA designs; interacting with various test and measurement equipment to troubleshoot system-level failures. Candidate may also perform mechanical tasks, such as: cutting, forming, installing metal parts associated with the assembly of mechanical equipment and fixtures. Experience/familiarity using power tools (e.g., drills, grinders, saw) and hand tools (e.g., wrenches, pliers, screwdrivers) is desired.
Working with Faro products require considerable initiative and ingenuity, along with the ability to communicate with cross functional groups of mechanical, electrical, systems, and firmware engineers. As your familiarity with the product lines grows, you will be expected to interact more with engineering teams to incorporate your findings into the development of the next generation FARO product designs. Initiative and a desire to be a part of future engineering design cycles is required.
How you will make a difference @ FARO
- Support product development initiatives into manufacturing processes through NPD process by completing various manufacturing related tasks such as, Design for Manufacturing (DFM), validation protocols and workflow improvements. Ensure key design requirements, tolerances, and manufacturing requirements are identified and met for NPI projects.
- Develop and execute test protocols to validate and verify software/firmware changes introduced by R&D engineering that affect Faro products in both Production and Service Centers.
- Perform failure investigation on nonconforming material and/or finished products, especially in the areas of mechanical systems and electronic components. Analyze customer complaints and Quality reports to implement preventive and corrective actions.
- Design automated manufacturing tests, diagnostic protocols, and drive enhancements to existing processes to improve yield, quality, and performance.
- Utilize progressive methodology to eliminate variation such as Root Cause Analysis, Failure Mode and Effects Analysis (FMEA), and Design of Experiments (DoE).
- Conducts gauge R&R and other process capability studies to analyze new/existing manufacturing processes.
- Conduct and/or participate in team meetings to improve products and processes. During product team meetings, ensures valid input relating to product design/development, production issues, and quality issues related to field failures.
- Review specifications and confer with R&D, Quality and Manufacturing, and Service personnel to resolve design problems related to material characteristics, dimensional tolerances, service requirements, manufacturing procedures, and costs of tools.
- Act as a liaison between R&D, Production, Service, and Quality ensuring that changes or new products properly address Manufacturing, Service, and Quality requirements.
- Coordinate introduction of product changes or new products by ensuring that procedures and diagnostic protocols are released at the appropriate time, parts have been received, and tools are available.
- Reviews engineering documents, submit revisions, obtain change approvals, and upload documents into control system.
- Create and maintain process guidelines, routings, and work instructions for assigned projects and product lines.
- Develop preventive maintenance plans for manufacturing equipment and fixtures, calibration procedures, and work instructions for maintaining equipment in working order.
- Supervise, train and develop new/existing hourly associates in areas such as safety, quality, delivery, and cost.
- Works with vendors on corrective actions to solve yield and quality issues.
- Champion continuous improvement and cost reduction activities in manufacturing through Lean/Six-Sigma methodology.
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering preferred. Degrees in Electrical Engineering Technology, Electronics Engineering with relevant experience may also be considered within the requirements described herein.
- Minimum of 8 years of manufacturing or process engineering experience. Practical knowledge of electronics, metals, and plastics in manufacturing or industrial settings preferred.
- Design/Repair of assembly and automated test fixtures.
- Capable of performing basic electronics technician tasks, such as: soldering components on PCBs; using oscilloscopes and logic analyzers to debug PCB designs.
- Working knowledge/experience with optics components. Familiarity with mechanical systems and equipment, including CAD based design software a plus.
- Experience with 5-S, practical problem solving, Root Cause/Corrective Actions, Gauge R&R, and process capability studies.
- Experience in Statistical Process Control (SPC) and analytical techniques (e.g., 5-Why, 8D, FMEA and DoE).
- Experience using Six Sigma and Lean Manufacturing methodology. Six Sigma certifications is a plus (Green/Black Belt).
- Experience using the following software tools: MS Excel, Power Point, Word, Visio (SAS-JMP, SQL Database Query is a plus).
- Focus/ability to set priorities and work independently.
- Ability to organize thoughts and convey them clearly to others through written procedures, emails, and presentations.
- Initiative/activation to get things done, see things through completion.
- Interpersonal skills required to manage and serve as technical liaison across multiple departments.
- High degree of organizational skills (Project Management skills a plus).
- Ability to manage multiple assignments and tasks in a fast-paced environment.
Tools and Equipment Used:
Various mathematical, graphic, design and database software programs; computer and peripherals; mechanical and computerized measuring devices; machine shop and standard powered hand tools; standard office equipment.
Some lightweight lifting, and occasional lifting of average to heavy weight materials of over 60 lbs. Occasional pushing, pulling, reaching, climbing and upper body and arm rotation. There may be some bending, stooping, and standing; continuous sitting; or occasional use of hazardous chemicals.
What FARO Can Offer You:
FARO has excellent benefits for you and your family. We not only care for our employees but also to their immediate family members. We believe in a balanced work-life and have developed programs and benefits plans to support that ethic, such as:
- A competitive paid time off bank and paid holidays
- Medical, dental, life and AD&D insurance plans
- Pre-tax flex spending accounts for medical and dependent care
- 401K with employer match
- Tuition reimbursement and training opportunities
- Wellness fairs
- Frequent lunch and learns to help educate employees about issues affecting their lives
- Other employee events
At FARO, we are committed to encouraging different perspectives and ideas that foster innovation. We believe that we are strongest with a diverse team of employees. We want every FARO employee to feel our commitment to showing respect for all and encouraging open collaboration and communication.
FARO is an equal opportunity employer and provides equal opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment. FARO is a government contractor and will take affirmative action as called for by applicable laws and Executive Orders.
Join us. Become part of a dynamic organization that values quality, leadership, teamwork, honesty, and openness as a way of life in conducting our business.