At PCOM, we espouse to grow a culturally competent workforce to advance healthcare that touches the lives of underserved communities. Diversity and inclusion is the core component of our institutional identity and a key pillar of PCOM’s strategic vision. Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine affirms that diversity and inclusion are crucial to the intellectual vitality of the campus community. It is through freedom of exchange over different ideas and viewpoints in supportive environments that our graduates develop the critical thinking and citizenship skills that will benefit them throughout their lives.
Since 1899, PCOM has trained highly competent, caring physicians, health practitioners, and behavioral scientists who practice a “whole person” approach to care – treating people, not just symptoms. As the field of medicine has changed, we’ve changed with it – adapting our program offerings to better meet the needs of healthcare providers and the communities they serve. At the main campus in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania (PCOM), the branch campus in Suwanee, Georgia (PCOM Georgia), and our newest location in Moultrie, Georgia (PCOM South Georgia), PCOM students learn to approach problem-solving in a more professional, more team-oriented manner, which prepares them to work successfully in integrated healthcare settings with other health professionals. At Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine you will be part of a caring, professional, and committed community focused on making the PCOM experience the best possible for our students.
We are currently seeking to fill our Library Assistant- Part Time position at the Georgia campus with a highly qualified and passionate individual.
Provide library services to PCOM GA Library users during evening and weekend hours. Provide user support services in circulation and reference, monitor Library and Information Commons facility and equipment, troubleshoot user access problems, ensure that problems encountered during evening and weekend periods are properly identified and reported to Library, ITS, or Plant Operations staff as appropriate. Maintains accurate records of circulation, reference, and support transactions. Supervises student assistants.
Hours: 10a-6p- Sunday, Monday & Tuesday 3pm-10pm- This is a Part Time position
- Education: High school
- Experience: 2-3 years’ library experience
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to make good decisions in the absence of supervision
- Strong customer service orientation
- Excellent computer skills
- Knowledge of database searching
- Familiarity with searching library or research databases (e.g. PubMed, GALILEO)
- Knowledge of mobile app download and use
- Strong proficiency in using Google productivity tools (e.g. Mail, Calendar, Drive)
- Proficiency in Word and Excel
Responsibilities And Duties
- Provides user services.
- Charges, discharges and renews library materials; places and deletes holds as necessary.
- Answers questions related to library services and collections in-person and through phone, email, and the library’s chat service.
- Interprets and communicates library policies on access to library facilities and use of collections .
- Handles patrons’ special requests and concerns, forwarding to other library staff or other departments as needed.
- Troubleshoots problems with user access to library resources and notifies appropriate staff.
- Assigns work and monitors performance of work-study students.
- Provides reference support.
- Helps users find desired information.
- Advises users in selection of appropriate resources based on library subject guides.
- Assists with searches of databases and other library resources.
- Provides e-resource management support.
- Systematically reviews and verifies accuracy of library navigation and linking.
- Provides interlibrary loan support.
- Processes ILL requests as needed to ensure prompt document delivery.
- Notifies patron of loan receipt.
- Participates in special projects as assigned.
<< Update Job Description. Check Formatting. >>
PCOM is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration. We adhere to a policy that prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, creed, national or ethnic origin, citizenship status, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected class.