At Hy-Vee our people are our strength. We promise a helpful smile in every aisle and those smiles can only come from a workforce that is fully engaged and committed to supporting our customers and each other.
Job Title: Floral Designer
Creates floral arrangements at the request of customers and fills necessary merchandising needs. Takes floral orders in person and over the telephone. Operates as a lead with the floral clerks.
- Growth mindset
- Results oriented
- Customer focused
Accountable and Reports to: District Store Director, Store Manager, Assistant Managers of Perishables, Store Operations, and Health Wellness Home; Floral Department Manager
Positions that Report to you: None
Primary Duties And Responsibilities
- Provides prompt, efficient and friendly customer service by exhibiting caring, concern and patience in all customer interactions and treating customers as the most important people in the store.
- Smiles and greets customers in a friendly manner, whether the encounter takes place in the employees designated department or elsewhere in the store.
- Makes an effort to learn customers names and to address them by name whenever possible.
- Assists customers by: (examples include)
- escorting them to the products theyre looking for
- securing products that are out of reach
- loading or unloading heavy items
- making note of and passing along customer suggestions or requests
- performing other tasks in every way possible to enhance the shopping experience.
- Answers the telephone promptly and provides friendly, helpful service to customers who call.
- Works with co-workers as a team to ensure customer satisfaction and a pleasant work environment.
- Cleans, processes, and cuts flowers appropriately.
- Responsible for department in absence of Manager, or Assistant Manager.
- Understands and processes FTD, interstore, Teleflora orders, and Internet Orders.
- Inventories product, evaluates status, cares for damaged product, and replaces where necessary.
- Fills customer orders completely and creates floral arrangements at their request, all in a timely manner.
- Ensures floral products are fresh in the shop and throughout the store.
- Cleans the floral area.
- Takes special requests for product either in person or over the telephone.
- Counsels customers regarding plants and floral care.
- Identifies key areas to place specials within the store.
- Operates as a lead with the floral clerks, (e.g. trains and simple designs and how to take telephone orders, etc.).
- Orders flowers and supplies daily or as needed with the direction of the Floral Manager.
- Works with customer issues and product problems.
- Understands the basics of floral products, care and handling, plant and flower identification, and can explain products requirements to customers.
- Unloads trucks, places product in appropriate storage area, and replenishes merchandise. Wraps flowers and is careful not to damage.
- Adheres to company policies and individual store guidelines.
- Reports to work when scheduled and on time.
Secondary Duties And Responsibilities
- Delivers product as necessary.
- Shares ideas for arrangements for the customers as necessary (funerals, weddings, anniversaries, etc.).
- Reads industry references, listens to floral experts, and remains open to new ideas.
- Helps with and may decorate in store events.
- Assists in other areas of store as needed.
- Performs other job related duties and special projects as required.
- Instructing, assigning work, reviewing work, planning work of others, maintaining standards, coordinating activities.
- Has the authority to recommend disciplinary actions.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities And Worker Characteristics
- Must have the ability to solve practical problems; variety of variables with limited standardization; interpret instructions.
- Ability to do arithmetic calculations involving fractions, decimals, and percentages.
- Must have the ability to file, post, and mail materials; copy data from one record to another; interview to obtain basic information; guide people and provide basic direction.
Education And Experience
High School or three years of similar or related work experience.
- Must be able to physically perform medium work: exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally and 20 pounds of force frequently, and 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
- Visual requirements include vision from less than 20 inches to more than 20 feet with or without correction, depth perception, color vision, and field of vision.
- Must be able to perform the following physical activities: Climbing, balancing, stooping, kneeling, reaching, standing, walking, pulling, lifting, grasping, feeling, talking, hearing, and repetitive motions.
The duties for this position are normally conducted in a store environment. There is significant pressure to meet deadlines and handle multiple priorities. Some holidays may require extended hours. There is exposure to dirt, noise, dangerous chemicals/solvents, dampness and temperature extremes.
Equipment Used To Perform Job
Standard tools and equipment used in a floral environment including computer, underwater cutter, wire cutter, pricing gun, dosetron, scissors, knives, pick machine, register system, helium tank, and telephone.
Has daily contact with the general public, customers, suppliers/vendors and FTD and Teleflora.
Maintains confidentiality on orders placed (including, who sent, who received, order, and cost).
Are you ready to smile, apply today.