About Concentric By Ginkgo
Would you like to use your design expertise and leadership skills to have a direct and positive impact on COVID-19 response – and create biosecurity products of the future?
Ginkgo Bioworks is a publicly traded (NYSE: $DNA), high-growth biotechnology company based in Boston’s Seaport District, that is redesigning the living world to solve some of the globe’s growing challenges in health, energy, food, material, and more. Our mission to “make biology easier to engineer” is poised to disrupt multiple industries by leveraging our innovative data, automation, and scale capabilities in biological engineering.
Our biosecurity division, Concentric by Ginkgo , has been a national leader in providing broad access to, and innovation in, COVID-19 screening and surveillance solutions. We keep schools open, enable safe travel, and provide solutions and data to public health leaders at the local, state, and federal levels. We also recognize that biosecurity and public health are global problems. After the enormous impact Concentric has had – and continues to have – in the US, we are working to support COVID-19 response and make the world safe from future biosecurity and public health threats.
We have a talented and passionate team of engineers and product managers that you and your team will work with to understand the frontier of problems in biosecurity and craft solutions that delight our clients and users.
The Director of Product Design Role
As Director of Product Design, you will formalize and grow the product design function as we transition into a major expansion of our products to solve the next phase of pandemic challenges and lay the foundation for sustainable, global biosecurity. You will lead that function, working both to grow and develop the team and contributing directly to the expansion of our product suite that tackles new problems in biosecurity.
As Director of Product Design you will lead the product design/user experience team, reporting into the Head of Product. You will help iterate on our operating model to enable cross-functional teams to deliver great outcomes for our users.
Please note: This role is primarily remote with expected travel of 3-6 times per year for on-site or off-site team sessions, with each instance being for 2-5 days. You will also travel to meet with or observe clients / users in-person.
You’ve spent years leading product design teams. You’ve developed team members from their first day in a product design role to leaders in their field. Your team members and peers in other organizations look to you for expertise, mentorship, and leadership.
You have worked with executive teams to embed design thinking in the organization and improve organizational strategy. You’ve implemented action-oriented design processes that quickly show value and gain traction in your organization. You eagerly and comfortably tackle ambiguous problem spaces that are newly emerging or have not been solved effectively in the past.
You may not have a background in biology, but you are passionate about biosecurity and public health.
- Lead, coach, and continuously up-level members of the Product Design team
- Grow a culture of design thinking in Concentric’s Product and Software teams and its maturity across Concentric as a whole
- Define design practice and vision for product design across Concentric
- Effectively iterate on the team’s processes and strategies to empower them to succeed in a fast-paced environment
- Maintain excellence by critiquing, advising, and coaching designers and product teams
- Build out the team by hiring additional product designers
- Ability to negotiate trade offs across leadership, reconcile escalations, and keep strong relationships across teams
- Ability to thrive in ambiguity and make decisions under pressure
- Highly collaborative nature, with experience working on cross functional teams with product managers, developers, designers, and researchers
- Broad toolkit, with ability to coach product designers across the spectrum of design specialties and effectively match frameworks to problems.
- Deep understanding of methods and practices for increasing the consistency, quality, influence, and output of design team members
- Minimum 10 years of experience in a professional design or research role, with at least 5 years of leading teams and managing designers
- Degree (or comparable training / on-the-job experience) in Interaction, UX/UI, Human Factors, Visual, Service Design, Design Research, or Design Strategy
Preferred Capabilities And Experience
- Experience designing products across complex customer landscapes that span digital, physical, and service interactions
- Experience working on products for emerging use cases for which there is little existing design precedent
- Experience working in a regulated sector (e.g. healthcare, fintech)
- Experience working on international products
- Advanced Degree in design from an accredited design school in Interaction, UX/UI, Visual, Service design, Design Research, Design Strategy, or similar
Note on culture: Concentric by Ginkgo is a high energy, positive and fast paced environment where new challenges and opportunities arise every day, so this opportunity is ideal for people who thrive in those kinds of environments, and for people who like lots of variety in their day. There are lots of opportunities to learn and grow. The team is motivated by doing high impact work in service to society. To get a sense of the culture at Ginkgo, read some articles in Grow by Ginkgo , the company magazine we produce, which tells the story of synthetic biology in a Ginkgo-authentic way.
To learn more about Ginkgo, check out some recent press:
What is it really like to take your company public via a SPAC? One Boston biotech shares its journey (Fortune)
Ginkgo Bioworks resizes the definition of going big in biotech, raising $2.5B in a record SPAC deal that weighs in with a whopping $15B-plus valuation (Endpoints News)
Ginkgo Bioworks CEO on scaling up Covid-19 testing: ‘If we try, we can win’ (CNBC)
Ginkgo raises $70 million to ramp up COVID-19 testing for employers, universities (Boston Globe)
Ginkgo Bioworks Redirects Its Biotech Platform to Coronavirus (Wall Street Journal)
Ginkgo Bioworks Provides Support on Process Optimization to Moderna for COVID-19 Response (PRNewswire)
The Life Factory: Synthetic Organisms From This $1.4 Billion Startup Will Revolutionize Manufacturing (Forbes)
Synthetic Bio Pioneer Ginkgo Raises $290 Million in New Funding (Bloomberg)
Ginkgo Bioworks raises $350 million fund for biotech spinouts (Reuters)
Can This Company Convince You to Love GMOs? (The Atlantic)
We also feel that it’s important to point out the obvious here – there’s a serious lack of diversity in our industry, and that needs to change. Our goal is to help drive that change. Ginkgo is deeply committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion in all of its practices, especially when it comes to growing our team. Our culture promotes inclusion and embraces how rewarding it is to work with people from all walks of life.
We’re developing a powerful biological engineering platform, so we must remain mindful of the many ways our technology can – and will – impact people around the world. We care about how our platform is used, and having a diverse team to build it gives us the best chance that it’s something we’ll be proud of as it continues to grow. Therefore, it’s critical that we incorporate the diverse voices and vi
sions of all those who play a role in the future of biology.
It is the policy of Ginkgo Bioworks to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and employment applicants.