Who We Are
Munchkin is one of the most innovative and fast-growing consumer product companies in the world! After 30 years of being a leader in the baby industry, Munchkin is growing up and expanding our business reach to even more consumers with the launch of Curio, a highly curated line of home products inspired by curiosity.
Founded in 1990, Munchkin has sold billions of dollars of products through our key retail partners: Target, Walmart and Amazon and has global distribution in over 45 countries. At Munchkin, we make world-class, award-winning products, and believe in only producing the safest ones on the market. We are industry leaders in design and innovation with over 140 international product and brand design awards in the past 5 years and growing! Munchkin has a world-class portfolio of over 300 patents and has recently averaged over 20 new patents per year.
We lead with our core values and believe that investing in the community is our responsibility. We create opportunities for every child’s potential and well-being through their Radiant Colors program, work to create a sustainable future, and in partnership with the International Fund for Animal welfare have committed to animal conservation.
There is no better time than now to join Munchkin as we embark on their next and biggest growth journey moving us into technology focused, higher valued products, and household consumer goods. Munchkin is growing up and you could be the next influential leader to play a key role in driving enormous customer-centered value and join us on our journey toward rapid growth.
What You’ll Do
We are searching for a Digital Art Director to be the right hand, a trusted and confident wingman/woman, to the CBO/Creative Director. This full time, on-site role oversees a full 360, in-house, design and production team of 9 in LA with weekly production supervision of assets in Hong Kong and China.
The Art Director needs to be a mature, creative problem solver with a strong managerial background in CPG. You are as comfortable presenting to a Marketing Director as you are to a retail partner. We’re a scrappy team, so we expect this Digital AD not just to provide direction to designers, but also to execute your own ideas. From quick comps to dazzling After Effects creations, we want someone who can take an idea from the conceptual phase and bring it all the way to market. You have strong experience in working with epic story creators, from copy writers to video directors, and have outstanding writing skills yourself.
If you’re looking to create ideas that win every award from GDUSA to The Red Dot, we humbly do this on a regular basis. Munchkin’s Brand Design Department has won over 60 of the most acclaimed global awards in design and branding across all platforms, packaging to TV and everything in between, in 6 short years.
- 10-12 years of experience in a managerial role for design teams with significant emphasis on interactive media at a hypergrowth consumer startup, or beloved CPG brand.
- Excellent interpersonal skills:
- You feel at your best in a team environment.
- You are a curious, patient leader who thrives coaching young designers and illustrators in daily crit sessions.
- You understand the nuances and value of the critical role of right hand to a C-Suite.
- You are a well-seasoned, graceful giver and receiver of feedback.
- Excellent communication skills. You are crystal clear, transparent, and confident communicating (presenting and selling-in) creative ideas, their rationale, and the specifics of the solutions
- Killer design chops with Advanced Adobe Creative Suite skills, including Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, After Effects, and ability to evaluate future tools for team productivity. You have familiarity with Word, Excel and embrace the reality that Power-Point is a necessary and powerful design tool.
- Animation and video production and are well versed in the language of the internet and social. You are comfortable executing everything from an Insta Stories and organic TikTok campaigns to short and long form videos for optimal reach on all platforms, especially mobile.
- You have impeccable taste in and appreciation for the role of music as a story telling backdrop for motion.
- Demonstrated ability to concept across a variety of mediums including social, digital, print, audio, experiential and whatever comes next.
- A tried-and-true Rolodex of vendors to lend a hand when needed from copy writers to stylists to video directors and editors.
- Social fluency and a solid understanding of how to drive conversation and engagement across social channels.
- Strong communication design sensibilities and an understanding of how composition, information hierarchy, color theory and typography work together to drive home a message.
- Proven creativity in the Ecommerce space with successful follow through from concept to build
- Ability to prioritize and manage work, adhering to critical project timelines in a fast-paced environment
- Minimum 10-12 years industry experience or related creative process experience combining creative strategy, content, and messaging with creative deliverables as an Art Director. The majority of your management background is in-house at a CPG company.
- A strong portfolio that demonstrates your ability to come up with modern, playful, original ideas and innovative approaches across channels, along with the visual skills and attention to detail to execute superbly in a variety of mediums
- Stunning photo and video art direction. Experience with baby models is a plus.
- Optimal candidate can work fluently in After Effects, Cinema 4D, Keyshot and Photoshop. A strong working knowledge of premier is a plus.
- Proven experience allocating and managing budgets
- Proven ability to lead, motivate and inspire both internal and external creative teams
- Understanding of all dimensions of communication: business strategy and experience design, with the ability to translate this into effective innovative, but integrated marketing programs.
- Expert knowledge in Mac-based tools of your trade. (InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, Premiere, After Effects, Keynote, et al)
- Expert knowledge in the graphic printing and production processes, including translations needed for international commerce.
We Got You Covered!
As a Great Place to Work Certified™ company, we are committed to offering the best to our employees. We offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes medical, vision and dental coverage, wellness, an employer-matched 401(k) plan, bonuses, employee equity plan and much more. We regularly hold social functions to foster a genuine camaraderie that enhances teamwork. At our company-wide award functions, we take time to recognize the talent and dedication of the people who make Munchkin the most loved baby lifestyle brand in the world.
We offer work-life balance benefits such as paid maternity and paternity leave, Hybrid work from home schedule on Tuesday and Fridays or Half-day Friday’s all year around! To learn more, visit us at www.munchkin.com.
Munchkin embraces diversity and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.