Navigate your career @ Airgas
Enrich your experience with a new step in your professional journey! Airgas encourages internal mobility. Developing yourself into new roles within our organization is key to our Talent Management strategy. We believe in you and the value you bring to our company.
Airgas, an Air Liquide Company is a supplier of industrial, medical, and specialty gases. It also supplies welding equipment and related products. Headquartered in Radnor, PA, the company operates a network of about 1,400 locations. These include branches, cylinder fill plants, production facilities, specialty gas laboratories, and regional distribution centers. As an employer, Airgas encourages collaboration. It invites associates to share ideas, take initiative, and make decisions. Your professional growth is supported by education and advancement opportunities. You can also expect competitive compensation, and benefits with flexible options.
The FLOXAL Design Engineer (DE) is responsible for the development of the engineering packages required for all standard onsite nitrogen generating plants, for the Airgas Merchant Gases division of Airgas LLC. This role serves as the Design Authority on both the primary generation units (APSAs, PSAs, membranes, etc) and the nitrogen backup (bulk liquid nitrogen) sides of the project.
The FLOXAL DE works closely with the Project Managers and the Technical Managers (Subject Matter Experts/SMEs), including third party structural engineers, in order to produce the design packages, and get the packages approved.
Approval of the final design package is done by the SMEs before FLOXAL Design Engineer sends the package to the Project Manager. The DE works with the Project Managers and Construction Managers to answer technical questions, if they arise, during the construction and commissioning phases of the project. As part of their role as a Design Authority, the FLOXAL DE provides education to the Project Managers, project engineer, and ARC Rotational engineers.
Additionally, the FLOXAL DE assists the Commercial team with technical information that potential customers may need ahead of a contract signature. This includes anywhere from answering technical questions, producing draft equipment layout drawings, non-specific electrical one-line drawings, sizing equipment, and more.
The FLOXAL DE will be an experienced professional broadly versed in NFPA and CGA code requirements associated with the industrial gas projects. The position is a remote location, and reports to the FLOXAL Engineering Manager.
How will you CONTRIBUTE and GROW?
Safety And Regulatory Compliance
- Ensure equipment is designed in compliance with local, federal, and corporate policies.
- Promotes and develops safe work behaviors. Provides direct coaching to improve safety behaviors resulting in an improved safety culture.
- Ensures all applicable regulatory (OSHA, FDA, EPA, NFPA) standards are considered during the design of the nitrogen generating plant, in order to comply with the departmental and location requirements.
- Create and maintain the engineering document packages including P&ID’s, Electrical single lines, site layout drawings, among other requirements for the Standard Onsite nitrogen generation units, including the bulk liquid nitrogen units used as a backup.
- Participate in project introduction / kickoff customer meetings to establish technical criteria. Secure information for preparation of detailed engineering packages (PFDs, P&IDs, Site Layout Drawings, Electrical one-line drawings, Plot Plans etc.)
- Sizing of all associated equipment for the nitrogen generating units, including sizing compressors, specifying tank volume, and designing vaporization.
- Prepare layout and equipment data for foundation design, and secure PE-stamped structural drawings from third party engineers.
- Coordinate with the Project Manager and the Engineering Manager for occasional site visits, if required, to survey local conditions needed to create site specific design packages.
- Interface with Project Managers to ensure alignment of design, scope of work, and maintain communication with the Project Execution team as needed. Work with Project Managers on the hand off packages for the operational team, and ensure that deadlines are met for the design packages.
- Ensure Subject Matter Experts (SMEs) approval was obtained for the final engineering solution.
- Translate completed technical drawings in order to effectively communicate requirements to Project Managers, Construction Managers, Field Service teams (PFDs, P&IDs, Site Layout Drawings, Electrical one-line drawings, Plot Plans etc.)
- Create as-built drawings based on the red-lined drawings provided by the construction team and/or project management team at the close of the construction phase.
- Validate capital estimates provided by the commercial team for the liquid nitrogen backup system.
- Maintain the database of standard equipment documentation in conjunction with the Technical Managers / SMEs.
- Actively participate in and contribute to general project continuous improvement initiatives, in order to grow the FLOXAL project execution program.
Are you a MATCH?
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION And/or EXPERIENCE
- Requires a Bachelor’s Degree in an Engineering discipline – Mechanical, Chemical, OR equivalent experience in the Industrial Gas industry.
- Minimum of 5 years of demonstrated experience with design engineering with AutoCAD, requires drafting skills for preparation of P&ID’s, electrical one line diagram and site layout drawings.
- Additional years of experience required for applicants without an engineering degree.
- Notably organized, and able to keep up with and individually manage multiple projects with multiple stakeholders, and varying deadlines, while working together with a team to achieve overall goals.
- Familiar with cryogenic equipment, specifically liquid nitrogen storage tanks and vaporization.
- Familiar with skidded equipment using compression, refrigeration, purification, instrumentation, electrical, and controls in use by major industrial gas suppliers.
- Experience with industrial gases and equipment preferred.
- Little to no travel required (< 5% of work time).
- Extensive knowledge of AutoCAD 2D required.
- Working knowledge of Google Suite applications (Google Docs, Google Slides and Google Sheets). Knowledge of MS Office suite will translate directly to the Google Suite applications.
- Demonstrates personal integrity and transparency.
- Demonstrates ability to make sound judgment, timely decisions, manage multiple tasks and prioritize/delegate work effectively.
- Demonstrates ability to effectively communicate with project stakeholders; fluent in English – both written and spoken.
- Demonstrates ability to adapt to constantly changing scenarios, and react appropriately.
- Extensive knowledge of ISA symbols as required for P&ID’s and site layout drawings.
- Working knowledge of applicable construction codes including: National Electrical code, UL, International Fire Code, NFPA, International Building Code, OSHA, Life Safety codes, ASME standards, and CGA standard is a plus.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
- Professional Engineer (PE) certification is a plus.
- INTERNAL CANDIDATES ONLY: Presence on the TCL ladder, or ability to qualify for the TCL ladder is a plus. Being a Bulk Design Authority is a plus.
Airgas, an Air Liquide company, is a leading U.S. supplier of industrial, medical and specialty gases, as well as hardgoods and related products; one of the largest U.S. suppliers of safety products. Through the passion and diversity of its 18,000 associates, Airgas fosters a culture of safety, customer success, sustainability and innovation. Airgas associates are empowered to share ideas, take initiative and make decisions.
Airgas is a subsidiary of Air Liquide, a world leader in gases, technologies and services for Industry and Health. Air Liquide is present in 78 countries with approximately 64,500 associates globally.
Join us for a stimulating experience: you’ll find a world of learning and development opportunities where inventiveness is at the heart of what we do, in an open, collaborative and respectful environment .
May 24, 2022, 1:33:52 PM
Your DIFFERENCES enhance our PERFORMANCE
At Airgas, we are committed to building a diverse and inclusive workplace that embraces the diversity of our employees, our customers, patients, community stakeholders and cultures across the world.
We welcome and consider applications from all qualified applicants, regardless of their race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, disability or any other protected characteristic. We strongly believe a diverse organization opens up opportunities for people to express their talent, both individually and collectively and it helps foster our ability to innovate by living our fundamentals, acting for our success and creating an engaging environment in a changing world.
EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability
Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or disability