Looking to work at a firm that encourages a work life balance and a path to Partnership?
Withum is a forward-thinking, technology-driven advisory and accounting firm, helping clients to Be in a Position of StrengthSM in today’s modern business landscape. Withum empowers clients with innovative tools and solutions to address their accounting, tax and overall business management needs. Withum is a place where talent thrives. We recruit only the best and brightest people, with a genuine passion for the business.
Withum’s Tax Services Group is made up of a brilliant team of tax specialists that work to ensure tax reporting obligations are met in an accurate and timely manner and minimize or defer the payment of taxes. Their comprehensive understanding of international, US federal, state, and local regulations, counting our affiliation with HLB international, allows them to help develop economical tax strategies anywhere. Their services include Business, Individual, State & Local tax, R&D Tax Credit, as well as International and Private Client services.
This Tax Supervisor role will be focused on our clients within the cannabis industry. You’ll work alongside an integrated team of seasoned, well-known CPAs and industry leaders. In this position, you will take a lead role on all aspects of audit engagements, from planning to completion, to include supervision/mentoring of staff and building/maintaining relationships with clients.
Withum’s brand is a reflection of our people, our culture and our strength. Withum has become synonymous with teamwork and client service excellence. The cornerstone of our success can truly be accredited to the dedicated professionals who work here every day, whose mission is to help our clients grow and thrive – to be in a position of strength. But our commitment goes beyond our clients as we continue to live the Withum Way, promoting personal and professional growth for all team members, clients, and surrounding communities.
How You’ll Spend Your Time
- Active involvement in consulting services to these entrepreneurial companies in establishing operations, structure of entities and assisting in preparation of forecasts and projections.
- Consult with clients on unique cannabis topics including: costing of inventory, Sections 280E and 471 compliance and structuring transactions and entities.
- Assessing the tax efficiency of client’s cost of goods sold values and other production costs
- Advising clients on structuring M&A Activity, both on the buy or sell side of the transaction
- Researching opportunities for reducing tax obligations through cost segregation and credits (energy, R&D and incentives)
- Consulting with clients on multi-state and local tax matters
- Overseeing the preparation of various Federal and State tax filings
- Network with other industry representatives to promote our brand in this tight knit sector
- Researching relevant and often unique tax issues and resolutions/recommendations for those issues
- Identifying tax planning opportunities for stakeholder
- Staying abreast of developments and changes in Federal, state and local laws
- Develop tax planning strategies for owners and senior management in an effort to create wealth
- Conduct constructive discussions with team members on their evaluations and providing constructive counsel
- Training and supervision of staff accountants
The kinds of people we want to talk to have many of the following:
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, Master of Science in Taxation is preferred
- CPA License (preferred) or plan to obtain license
- At least 3 years of public accounting experience
- Exceptional client service and communication skills with a demonstrated ability to develop and maintain outstanding client relationships
- Ability to manage multiple engagements and competing projects
- Strong leadership, training, and mentoring skills, coupled with excellent verbal, written, and presentation skills to represent the Firm well to client’s management
- Excellent analytical, organizational, project management skills, strong attention to detail, and proven innovative problem-solving skills
- Ability to travel as needed based on client assignments
The compensation for this position will vary by location. If you reside in California, New York City, Washington D.C., or Washington State, please see below. In addition to the base compensation, Withum offers a competitive benefits package and bonus program (for eligible roles) based on individual and firm performance. Final offer amounts are based on multiple factors such as the specific role, hiring location, as well as the individual’s skills, experience and qualifications. For additional information on our benefits, visit our website at https://www.withum.com/careers/.
California/Washington State ranges are from $110,000 – $200,000
New York City ranges are from $120,000 – $170,000
Washington, D.C. ranges are from $100,000 – $145,000
Withum will not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability or because they are a protected veteran. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records. Remotely anywhere within the United States except the States of California, Colorado, New York, Rhode Island & Washington State.