Founded in 2013, Home Chef is the leading meal solutions company with both a retail and online presence. Available online at homechef.com and in retail at more than 2,100 Kroger grocery stores, Home Chef is committed to inspiring and enabling more people to cook simple, delicious meals, no matter how busy they are.
Similar to our recipes, we recognize that variety is the spice of life, and therefore, our employees also bring their uniqueness and color to our fantastic team. We’re eager to work with humble team players and pragmatic next-level thinkers to innovate on Home Chef’s offerings.
As the COVID-19 situation evolves in the US and worldwide, we are taking all the necessary precautions, per the CDC guidelines, to keep our employees and customers safe.
The Jr. Buyer is responsible for purchasing all items for the facility. They are responsible for managing local supplier relationships, determining order quantities, ensuring all products arrive in a timely manner and meets quality expectations, as well as working to improve purchasing KPIs.
- Manage ordering process for multiple menu cycles by balancing lead times, forecast variability, and multiple purchase orders
- Place timely, accurate orders with Home Chef vendors and/or source product locally
- Work regularly in excel to determine purchase quantities
- Utilize Home Chef ERP system to cut purchase orders and track in-house inventory
- Work cross functionally with quality and production teams daily
- Reduce excess over orders by tracking product starting inventory and cutting orders as needed
- Quickly source product and resolve problems in a timely manner related to inventory, product quality, and yields
- Balance production schedule with product perishability to determine best product delivery date
- Balance food costs with product quality by sourcing product from vendors that can meet Home Chef’s delivery dates and quality expectations
- Regularly communicate with Home Chef vendors to ensure on-time delivery and quality ingredients
- Onboard new vendors by reviewing Home Chef ordering model and product specifications
- Ensure vendors are meeting product specifications and communicate necessary changes
- Document any vendor concerns and work with supply chain managers to resolve as needed
- Work with vendors to return excess product
- Balance vendor expectations with Home Chef expectations to ensure on-time deliveries
- Be knowledgeable on pricing differences week over week, and work with vendors to resolve issues as needed
Improve Purchasing Function Accuracy
- Attend and prepare for weekly purchasing KPI meetings
- Work to determine root cause for shortages/overages and put action plans in place as needed
Promoting And Upholding Employee Safety And Food Safety Procedures
- Support the efforts of the company to maintain our food safety system (SQF) and quality programs
- Knows, understands and supports the Home Chef’s Cardinal Violations of Safety
- Keeps safety in forefront of all business decisions made and holds all direct reports accountable for ensuring safe execution of daily activities
- Starts and leads meetings with safety call outs and incidents needing reviewing
- Share safety KPIs with staff
- Drives and adheres to the Behavioral Safety Observations and holds all direct reports accountable for following guidelines
- Assist with all reports on Root Cause analysis as needed
- Follow up on Corrective Actions
- Supports Home Chef’s Safety Goals and is directly accountable
Qualifications & Requirements
- Bachelor’s Degree is preferred
- 3+ years of experience as a buyer
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Experience with an ERP system preferred
- Above average experience in Excel
- Ability to problem solve and balance priorities in a fast-paced environment
- This position requires 5% travel
Perks And Benefits
- Candidates can experience Home Chef as a customer – enter promo code PEOPLE30 for $30 off your first order!
- Medical, dental, vision, life and disability insurance available
- Paid holidays, sick time and vacation time
- 401k program
- Flexible spending accounts for qualified medical, dependent care, parking, or transit expenses
How We Work Together
We are humble team players.
We are warm and gracious with team members and customers. We seek feedback to improve ourselves – and respectfully listen to and accept input.
We are pragmatic next-level thinkers.
We come up with novel and unique ideas. We explore new strategies to avoid being constrained by conventional thinking.
We take ownership.
We approach ambiguous problems, prepared to dive in, get curious, and learn more. We are results-driven, always challenging ourselves to exceed goals.
Be at Home at Home Chef
We all show up authentically at Home Chef. Our team includes individuals with a variety of identities, backgrounds, and perspectives. You can trust that you’ll be able to bring your whole self to an inclusive and enjoyable workplace.
We welcome people of all races, colors, religions, national origin or ancestry, sex (including sexual identity), age, physical or mental disabilities, pregnancy, veteran or military status, unfavorable discharge from military service, genetic information, sexual orientation, marital status, order of protection status, citizenship status, arrest record or expunged/sealed convictions, or any other legally recognized protected basis under federal, state, or local law.
Home Chef is committed to the full inclusion of all qualified individuals. As part of this commitment, Home Chef will ensure that persons with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodations. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, or to receive other benefits and privileges of employment, please contact our People team at email@example.com .
Home Chef is an equal opportunity employer.
To view the California Applicant Notice click here