Department: 92Y Nursery School 
It is the aim of the 92 nd Street Y Nursery School to create an atmosphere of shared responsibility, mutual respect and a relatively equal division of labor during the school day. The Nursery School fosters a sense of commitment to the profession of Early Childhood Education by providing an environment that encourages professional and personal growth in a program that strives for excellence in teaching. Assistant teachers are responsible for working collaboratively with all other Nursery School staff to support the delivery of the school’s mission and vision as it pertains to teachers, parents, and children.
- Create a harmonious atmosphere in the school by being flexible, respectful, and cooperative with all staff as well as sharing expertise and materials. Participate in curriculum planning under guidance and direction of Head Teacher. Implement plans concerning daily/weekly schedule, as well as individual and group activities for the children.
- Bring to the classroom one’s own particular interests and abilities, which can contribute to the curriculum.
- Share in responsibility for the classroom environment, preparation of materials, clean-up, and organization of snack and meal times.
- Develop skills in working with individual children, in small groups, and with the whole group. To implement and reinforce agreed upon behavior management strategies.
- Interact with children in activities during the day to encourage development of self-reliance, social skills, and intellectual growth.
- Assist in recording observations of students.
- Participate in parent conferences as requested by the Head teacher.
- Supervise children in all activities, indoors and outdoors.
- Attend faculty and team meetings.
Experience, Education, & Skills Desired
- Bachelor’s degree required, preferably in Early Childhood Education or another educational focus.
- Previous experience working with young children preferred.
- Excellent written, verbal, and diplomatic communication skills.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite (Outlook, Word, Excel).
- Experience utilizing Brightwheel, Zoom and Google Photo.
- Ability to work with a diverse cultural population.
- An understanding of Jewish traditions and culture a plus.
- Must hold or be able to obtain all relevant qualifications to comply with the New York City Department of Health requirements.
Work Environment & Requirements
WORK HOURS AND ENVIRONMENT
37.50 hours per week, Monday – Friday.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
Those offered a position must provide proof of a completed COVID-19 vaccination as a condition of employment.
Any candidate unable to be vaccinated due to a sincerely held religious belief or a medical condition will be engaged to determine if a reasonable accommodation can be provided.
Interested applicants should forward a resume and a cover letter with salary requirements.
Due to a high volume of applications that we receive, we are only able to contact those applicants whose experience most aligns with the position profile.